The Launcher is a tool for submitting a calculation to a computer, called a compute server within ECCE, for processing. In the Launcher you will specify the details needed to launch the job including login information, run and scratch directories, number of processors and time/memory limits. You may submit a calculation to any computer that has been registered as an ECCE compute server where you have an account.
Individual workstations can be registered as ECCE compute servers by each user through the Launcher. A compute server registered by a user is available only to that user through ECCE. Shared resources, which typically run queue systems, are registered by an ECCE administrator.
Once a compute server is registered to ECCE, the information is used to:
- perform validation checks against user input prior to job launching
- generate job submission scripts
- connect to and submit jobs
- monitor the state of the job in a queue system or as a workstation process
- process output data as a job is running.
To learn more, see ECCE Help: Launcher.